Battler top of motocross pile

The image “cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

t every motocross race he contests, privateer rider Stephen Smith can’t help but glance at the royal treatment his factory-signed opponents receive and feel a twinge of envy.

The Yarraman-based 24-year-old doesn’t have the luxury of a mechanic, nor even the comfort of sponsor money.

He’s had to earn every ounce of success that he gets the hard way. But that hasn’t stopped him from soaring to the top of the points standings following the second round of the Shell Advance Sunstate Motocross Series at Coolum on the weekend.

Smith finished first and third respectively in the blue riband Pro Open division races on Sunday to take a slim four-point series lead over KTM’s Todd Waters.

“Normally there’s not this much competition because there’s a lot more factory guys turning up this year,” Smith said.

“I’m sticking with them pretty well, which is good.

“I have to maintain all my bikes, change all my own tyres before the race and stuff like that.

“I’m basically riding a stock bike that’s had a bit of suspension work done to it. That’s it.”

Having outgunned his more fortunate opponents on an inferior machine, Smith is convinced he is more than capable of jumping from privateer to factory status in the near future.

“That’s the ultimate goal and what I’m training for,” he said.



Blogger template 'Orchid' by blog bukan goblog 2008